diamagnetism

From: Robert Newstedt (Patternfinder@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Jan 09 1999 - 19:31:47 PST

I just encountered your "Snacks" and have very much enjoyed them! I was
looking for diagnetism by webtv search engine and found your data. One
thing I don't understand: you say that hydrogen is is paramagnetic.
But on a graph of "Magnetic Susceptibility of the Elements" in the CRC
Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (also in McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of
Science and Technology as I recall) hydrogen is in the LOWER half of the
scale as being diamagnetic. I don't understand. Which is it? Look up
the graph. I promise you that what I am saying here is correct.
Perhaps it is a function of temperature. Noted below that graph it
says: "Atomic susceptibility of the elements at room temperature. The
elements Gd toTm are ferromagnetic at low temperatures." On that
graph, oxygen is noted in the UPPER half of the scale as being
diamagnetic. And you say that LIQUID oxygen is diamagnetic. Is it,
then, a phenomenon of temperature? (Or are either you or the creators
of the noted graph incorrect?) ---------Something else, if you happen to
know: the graph dosn't show anything for fluorine. And, looking up
fluorine on the web periodic tables, I find no data re fluorine as
regards diamagnetism or feromagnetism. The sources say: "no data." I
wonder why this is? (Just thought I'd ask since I'm e-mailig you
anyway. Hope you don't mind.) Thanks for receiving this. Bob N.