...reddening of the setting sun in the lab...

From: Duje Bonacci (dbonacci@eskola.hfd.hr)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 03:10:52 PDT

Duje Bonacci
Fausta Vrancica 2
21000 Split
Croatia
dbonacci@eskola.hfd.hr

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am a young physicist, doing my phd at Zagreb University in
Zagreb, Croatia, and am currently involved in few educational
physics projects (with elementary and high school students).

In my quest to bring the physics down to earth and make it
fun and understandable to the teeneage population, which as
you probably know is usually more interested in other things
making my work a really owerwhelming task, I have stumbled
across your web site (exploratorium snacks).

I would like to tell you how much I was impressed by the quality
of both the material presented and the design of the pages. I
have found there so many useful things which have greatly
helped my work with young students. With your site's help
I was able to share my amazement with phisics (which I
strongly feel as a professional scientist) with these kids.

I also have one comment, and I hope you'll be able to help me
with it. Namely, on the page:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/blue_sky.html

I have found the discussion of the experiment that is supposed
to simulate the atmospheric reddening of the setting sun, and
the blue sky law. Few months ago, I have actually ran this
experiment in my lab, it appeared allright according to my
eyes, but my photodiode detector has said differently.

I am emailing you the paper I have presented as a poster on
the 15. International Conference for Phyisics Students, held
in August this year in Zadar, Croatia. In this paper I have
clearly shown that all the components of visible
light are equally attenuated on their passage through the
milk-water mixture. I have asked some medical people whether
they know why our eyes trick us to see what is actually not
there (i.e. the reddening), but have yet not got the satisfying
answer.

I would be very grateful if you could help me answer this
question. I would also like to make my paper freely available
to anybody interested, and to give my e-mail adress to anybody
who could know something about it and would like to discuss it
with me.

The paper is in msword 95 format and is zipped. The first file
is the text, and the second file (zadarslike.doc) are the photos
of the experimental setup.

Sincerely
Duje Bonacci