Blue Sky Snack

From: Jim Mormile (jim.mormile@snet.net)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 12:59:15 PST

Hi, I'm in 6th grade and am doing an experiment on how colored light affects plant growth. I was reading your Blue Sky snack because I am trying to understand how the colors do affect growth. I know that different colors of lights project different wavelenghts. My plant covered with clear plastic is the fullest. I think that's because white light contains all the colors of the spectrum and it's getting all the energy. My plant covered with red is the tallest, but has very few leaves. I know that red light has the longest wavelenght and longer wavelengths have less energy than shorter ones. The plants covered with yellow and green are about the same size, not as tall as red but have long, skinny stalks and most of the leaves are at the top. From what I've read, I think the plants covered with colored cellophane are being deprived of some energy, but I can't find any information to help me understand exactly what's happening. Can you help? Thank you very much.