Short Circuit: A caution

From: Nicholas Bodley (nbodley@world.std.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 16:51:23 PST

The smallest sets of clip leads (as we electronics types call them)
you're likely to find at Radio Shack have fine-gauge wire that might
ignite their plastic insulation if you short a good, large battery
with them. The insulation on some or all of them has a diameter many
times that of the wire. (This info way be outdated, but I doubt that
they have made the wire larger. These clip leads are made for
milliamp.-range currents, not jump-starting cars! :)

Nicholas Bodley |@| Waltham, Mass.
Please reply to nbodley@alumni.princeton.edu
Opera browser user, registered
Autodidact and polymath to some extent