can't figure out the short circuit thing

From: Kelly S (skyefawn@cboss.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 18:10:36 PDT

hi, I read your page about the short circuit, about connecting
the iron wire and the copper wire to the lantern battery.I don't get the part about moving the clip closer to the battery ,gets
it more hot because of resistance reduction. why would just moving the clip to the battery cause this? I was thinking that
if you kept cutting the wire smaller and smaller and connecting it, then the wire would start to get hot since you would have a smaller wire hence resistance reduction causing the wire to get hot. Please help, I'm just a beginner.

             Thanks.