Afterimage Snack

From: jlpm01 (jlpm01@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 22:44:09 PST

Hi!

When my husband was stationed at the Presidio from 1988-1992, we often brought the children to the Exploratorium. We had a ball! Now years later, I am studying to become an elementary teacher. I found your web site while looking for experiments on how to duplicate earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis.

My question has to do with the Afterimage snack. When we visited the Exploratorium, there was a "room" where the kids (okay, me too) could go and stand against one of the walls. A bright light would flash and if we moved away from the walls, we could still see a shadow of the person on the wall. Is this activity similar to the Afterimage Snack? If so, is there a way a smaller version could be duplicated?

My second question has to do with the science workshops offered for teachers. Since I am not yet a teacher, if I came out to S.F., would I be allowed to pay for and take the workshop?

Thank you for your time. Special thanks for a great web site. I will be emailing this web address to the members of my teaching cohort during Christmas break!

Sincerely,
Joy Moss