Loss of ability to sense food flavors

From: RMarsh1957@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 12:49:10 PST

I had a cold and with it I could not sense food flavors...I could "taste" via
the tongue...sweet,sour,bitter etc. but not the flavors like
bannanna,apple,potatoe etc.
The cold left but flavor sensing remained lost. After 3 sinus
surgeries,allergy testing/treatment and 11 years of time the only pattern
seems to be that if I take (small) doses of steroids it brings back my
ability to enjoy food's flavors. But longterm use of steroids is discouraged.
As it is now I can sense some food flavor in about 1 meal in 100.
Can you point me to info sources that may help me find resolution to my
problem?
Thank you
Robert Marsh
rmarsh1957@aol.com