Re: gyro wheel (fwd)

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 19:02:31 PST

Hello Petra

A variation on your experiment has been done by placing a gyroscope on a digital
scale.

The experimenters published the results that you predicted, that the scale
registered less weight when the wheel was rotating.

Alas a careful repeat of the experiment showed that their results were in error.
Scales are made to weight motionless objects. They sometimes give erroneous
results when the object vibrates or rotates.

But, you should try your experiment anyway, "unperformed experiments have no
results."

Paul Doherty
Senior Staff Scientist
Exploratorium

> Have you tried what he suggest?
> If so, could you let him or me know?
> Thanks,
> Deb

> Deb Hunt
> Snacktalk Moderator
> Exploratorium
> 3601 Lyon Street
> San Francisco, CA 94123-1099
> dhunt@exploratorium.edu

This message was sent using Exploratorium web mail
           http://www.exploratorium.edu/