Re: Magnetic pendulum (fwd)

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 18:31:22 PDT

Hello

The reason we removed this from our snack list was not because the force
was too small, but rather that people could not reliably make a pivot for
their pendulums which would swing cleanly and easily and yet not collide
with the magnet.

We're waiting for inspiration aboout how to design a simple easy too build
precise frictionless (or low friction at least) pivot for our pendulums.

Neodymium magnets do work better than cow magnets by about an order of
magnitude x10.

Paul Doherty