Re: electroscope query (fwd)

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 13:55:26 PST

Hi Ann Marie Grace

When I put two pieces of tape together in the air sticking the sticky side
of one to the smooth side of the other. The tapes start out uncharged.
(They have plenty of charges perhaps 10^20 plus and 10^20 minus charges but
the numbers are equal and so there is no net charge. When I pull the tapes
apart the sticky tape has a different stregnth of attraction for negative
charges than the smooth tape.

For Scotch magic tape the smooth side has a stronger attraction for
negatives than the sticky tape. So the sticky tape becomes positively
charged and the smooth side of the tape (in the inside part where the two
tapes touch) becomes negative.

The tapes start out neutral, for example one tape removes negatives leaving
the other positive.

When I pull a tape off a table it can become either plus or minus depending
on the material that the yop of the table is made of.

Paul D