Rotating Chair Experiment

From: Gary L Wickert (garywickert@ameritech.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 15:04:09 PST

In preparation for a 7th Grade Science experiment, we conducted the rotating stool test, fully expecting angular velocity to increase as the mass of the dumbells was brought in. We also expected, however, that the number of rotations would similarly increase with the dumbells in as opposed to the dumbells being extended. It did not. Just the opposite happened. The number of revolutions decreased with the arms drawn inward. Why is this? Does anyone have an explanation?

Lee Wickert