Per the explanation in what's going on?.....the thin film of sweat on your
hands acts like the acid in a battery reacting with the copper plate and
with the aluminum plate. In one of these reactions, your hand takes
negatively charges electons....
I do not agree. Something else is happening. I put the two plates (zinc and
copper this time) side by side (1-2 inches apart) and made a "bridge" out of
litmus paper that was soaked in a saturated NaCl solution. The meter
registered 0.37 volts DC. There is no acid to react this time. The copper
was well polished. I can conjecture that the more active zinc was losing
electrons. However, how was the copper receiving them if there are not
copper +1 or + 2 ions.
I do not have an explanation.
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This electronic communication may contain
confidential student record information intended solely for school business
by the individual to whom it is addressed. Any disclosure (verbal or in
print), copying, distribution, or use of this information by an unauthorized
person is prohibited, and may violate FBISD Board policy FL (Legal) and the
Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Should you receive this
electronic communication in error, please notify the sender immediately at
the following telephone number: 281-634-2156. Thereafter, please delete the
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.3 : Mon Apr 24 2006 - 11:34:52 PDT