Re: Pinhole Digest #231 - 09/05/99

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 01:17:28 PDT

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 01:17:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #231 - 09/05/99

--- Robert Zafran <marklin@redshift.com> wrote:

> > Does any one know how I could easily modify my
> classroom lights to turn off
> >and on remotely? Anything commercial out there?
>
> gfo to OSH..
>
> bob z.
> >
>I recommend you check out the Tech America catalog 1-800-442-7221.
They have a Security section of their catlog where they advertise a set
of security equipment under the general title of X-10. While I've
never used the equipment in the security section of Tech American
catalog I have purchased many other electronic devices from them and
they have been reliable and relatively cheap.
I'm not sure of your layout, but some choices might be to use one of
their "Two Button Switch Sets," Catlog #980-0204, which uses RF signals
to control functions (apparently only as an on/off function.) This is
$24.99 and needs a wall switch to replace yours, at $12.99, Catalog
#980-0207.
If you want dimming functions you might look into their IR Remote
Controlers. I'm no expert, but you may need their "SuperRemote",
Catalog #980-0237, priced at a hefty $54.99, which is designed to dim
lights using a rather ordinary looking remote control unit. This unit
is used to control a replacement switch for your wall, Catalog
#980-0913, which lists at $12.99. I would ask if an ordinary remote
would control an IR Dimmer switch, saving you big bucks.
   Like I said, the company has been reliable and the equipment has
been good, but I've never used any of their security stuff. It is
likely that they may have better ideas on equipment you can use. You
might want to give them a call, get some telephone answers and get a
catalog. Tell them you are a teacher as they give me a small discount
as an educator.
   I hope this is helpful. Of course there are also local places like
Frys (where you won't get much help if you don't know what you are
looking for) and Al Lashers Electronics in Berkeley where you will have
some knowledgable people to ask questions.
    Hope this is helpful in some small way.
Raleigh McLemore
raleighmclemore@yahoo.com