Re: Pinhole Digest #236 - 09/11/99

From: Erick Roldan (elroldan@metro.net)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 10:50:05 PDT

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:50:05 -0700
From: Erick Roldan <elroldan@metro.net>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #236 - 09/11/99

Hello Mike,
        I teach at a high school - not middle school - with a population of about
1500 students, but we have a modified block schedule. On Mondays, Tuesdays
and Fridays we have a 6 period day, 60 minutes each. We start at 7:50 and
are done by 3:00 pm. On Wednesdays and Thursdays we have block periods,
1,3,5 on Wed. and 2,4,6 on Thu. where we start at 7:50 but we get done at
2:00pm - periods are 1 hour and 46 mins. I like this schedule and I believe
most other disciplines are happy with it because it is a partial block.
        I teach freshman science classes and biology so I save all the labs for
the block day. Teaching in a block schedule requires the teacher to modify
how one teaches.... you can not expect to do lecture for the whole period
or keep one activity for the whole period. You are welcome to come and
visit our school to see how it operates and see if this is something you
might be interested in.
        One school I recommend you seeing is Casa Robles in Sacramento because
they have what is known as a 4 X 4 and it seems like a good program if all
the staff would buy into block scheduling.
        I hope I was helpful,

Erick P. Roldan
Piner High School
1700 Fulton rd.