Salt crystals

From: Adam Singer (adamsinger@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 02:31:31 PDT

Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 02:31:31 -0700
From: Adam Singer <adamsinger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Salt crystals

I am an 8th grade teacher at Marina Middle School, and the other day we
were doing an observation activity of different crystals under the
microscope to determine crystaline structure. After a long, drawn out
introduction about how NaCl is an ideal example of a crystal with a
regular shape, (cubical), the students began observing some spherical
grains on their slides. This occured at almost every table, so I could
not discount it. I could not explain this! I've done this activity
many times before, albeit usually with brand new salt purchased at the
last minute. This time I had a container of Morton's salt left-over
from last year on the same activity, when we hadn't observed these
grains. Help!?!?!?! Anyone have an idea?