Re: pinhole chem textbook advice

From: Gene Thompson (gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 18:12:46 PDT

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gene Thompson <gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: Re: pinhole chem textbook advice

Merrill is awful, I think (except for the extensive chart in the back on
properties of all the elements, and quite a few of the mini-labs, also in
the back). Prentice-Hall is great, even though the language level is too
high for a lot of students, the section on naming is a little convoluted
and the bit on molecular geometry isn't good. Holt is OK, but it starts
too easy and visuals-rich and half way becomes much too hard. I love the
content and presentation of Zumdahl's college book, that's used for AP,
and hear he's doing a high school text, which I'd like to see. The Heath
labs are great. And I really like Chemical Principals (sorry, can't
remember the author or pub and my copy's at school), though the edition I
have is old so I don't know how color intensive and sexy current versions
look.

Ellen Koivisto
George Washington High School
SF