Centripetal Force at Equator

From: David Porter (dpotasnik@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Nov 06 1999 - 07:11:14 PST

Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 08:11:14 -0700
From: David Porter <dpotasnik@earthlink.net>
Subject: Centripetal Force at Equator

A problem asks why, if the earth spins at such a great speed, don't all of us fly off. After calculating the centripetal force
due to gravity that is necessary to hold us down, one comes up with around 2.3 N for the equator. That explains any object, like
a person, that is heavier than 2.3 N. It obviously doesn't explain why objects that weigh less don't fly off. This question came
up with one of my students, but I didn't have an explanation. Is there anyone out there who does? Thanks, david.