Re: pinhole polarity and charge

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 22:05:10 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:05:10 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole polarity and charge

My guess is that the water stream has a polarity induced in it, such that
it becomes a bit positive near the rod and negative on the other side;
there are lots of charges in water and these can be influenced to move
somewhat. It is analagous to that same rod picking up a piece of neutral
paper. since the positive side is closer than the negative one, it gets
attracted to the rod. At least this is my guess. eiger

>Many high school and college chemistry textbooks show a picture of how a
>stream of a polar liquid falling will be deflected by a charge wand.
>Typically, they show liquid falling from a buret and being attracted to a
>plastic rod, which has a negative charge on it.
>
>I've been trying to figure out exactly why this happens, without luck. Help?
>
>-Geoff Ruth

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Departments of Biology and the WWAMI Medical Education Program
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460

Voice: (406) 994-5672
E-mail: eiger@montana.edu