e-mails from Marc

From: Geoff Ruth (geoffreyruth@usa.net)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 08:11:44 PST

Date: 18 Nov 99 08:11:44 PST
From: Geoff Ruth <geoffreyruth@usa.net>
Subject: e-mails from Marc

I didn't realize that Marc's e-mail hadn't gone to the pinhole listserv.
Here's the message I was referring to before. At the bottom of this is a
second reply from him.

  Note: 10^-26 is ten to the negative twenty-six

  I like the question. The distance across a water molecule is not
  significant in computing the attractive vs repulsive force at the
  typical distance we place the wand except to say that there is a net
  attractive force because the distance is slightly less on the oppositely
  charged side than on the like charged side. If we were to make a
  calculation I expect that the attractive force would equal the repulsive
  force out to several decimal places but eventually we would find a
  difference. This difference, though small, is still significant enough
  to produce a large acceleration since the mass of the molecule is so
  small (on the order of 10^-26 kg). My math is not good enough to
  calculate the difference between the attractive force and the repulsive
  force, but I'd be interested to see what it is. If the net accelerating
  force is only 10^-25 N then we'd still see an acceleration of about 10
  m/s2 for the water molecule.

  a = F/m

  Let's also remember that the charge on the wand is quite large, though
  not large enough to produce the effect past some distance (about 10 cm
  if I recall the experiment correctly). So past 10 cm the stream seems
  unaffected, but closer the stream really bends. This is due to the
  inverse square relation for electric charges.

  The water molecule's H atoms are really very nearly exposed protons with
  very little negative charge to shield them from electrical effects. It's
  as if the H proton is stripped of electrons because of the very high
  electronegativity difference between O and H atoms. It is this exposure
  which allows hydrogen bonding to occur (which is the very nearly
  covalent bonding that occurs between water molecules when the unbonded
  pairs of electrons from the O atom of one water molecule interact with
  the exposed proton of another water molecule). In addition, the covalent
  electrons can be thought of as belonging to the oxygen atom making the
  unbonded pairs push a little further still from the nucleus (e-e
  repulsion) of the O atom. This distance, though small, is not
  insignificant. So if we think of two exposed protons closer to the large
  static negative charge combined with the extremely small mass of the
  water molecule we find a large accelerating force which produces the
  bent stream.

  Does this make sense?

And here's Marc's reply to what I sent out yesterday.