more polarity

From: Marc Afifi (marc_afifi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 10:18:05 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:18:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Afifi <marc_afifi@yahoo.com>
Subject: more polarity

I like the rationale about the autoionization and the
induced charge. Is there an experiment that can be
done to see if using an acidic or basic solution would
show the same results? We would need a way of raising
or lowering the pH without introducing any cations or
anions other than H+ or OH-. I can't think of a way to
do this other than bubbling hydrogen gas into
distilled water and I'm not sure that would produce an
acidic solution anyway. Anyone got any ideas?

If we could make an acidic solution of "pure" water,
then using a positive wand we should see a net
repulsion and the stream should bend away since there
would be greater repulsion due to the higher
concentration of H+. Sounds like a good experiment.

-Marc

=====
Marc Afifi
Chemistry, AP chemistry