job announcement

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 09:10:02 PST

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:10:02 -0800
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: job announcement

Hello Pinholers,
I just received the following email job announcement. This middle school
math and science position starts in January.
Please share with those who may be interested.
Lori

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The West Oakland Community School is looking for a sixth grade math &
science teacher to start in January, 2000. Our current teacher has decided
to leave to seek out other opporutnities. This is a full-time position with
a competitive salary and benefits package. We are also considering strong
candidates who are available on a part-time basis.

Attached to this note is the job announcement. Please feel free to share it
widely with folks you know. We believe that you can help us identify the
right person for our children and for this position.

West Oakland Community School

955 - 12th Street, Oakland, California 94607 … (510) 465-WOCS (9627) … fax
(510) 465-8071

We are looking for an innovative, dedicated instructor!

The West Oakland Community School (WOCS) is looking to hire immediately a
sixth grade math/science teacher.

WOCS is an innovative public charter middle school that opened its doors in
September, 1999, with 50 sixth graders. We will add one grade each year
until we have a school with grades six through eight. We are located at
Bethlehem Lutheran Church, which has a long-standing history of community
support in West Oakland. We are deeply committed to serving the West
Oakland community, and we have a special concern for the unique history and
experience, strength and needs of African American children and their
families, who comprise the majority of the community's residents.

Our vision for our students is three-fold. First, they will be healthy and
whole. They will maximize their physical, mental, spiritual and emotional
potential. They will have a strong respect for themselves and others. They
will value a life dedicated to the pursuit of racial and economic justice.
Second, they will acquire the tools for academic and economic success. They
will attain high marks and master complex material as a part of a rigorous
course of study. This will be achieved through small class sizes, a focus
on critical thinking, a strong counseling and advising system, and a
college preparatory curriculum. Third, they will be servant-leaders. They
will dedicate themselves to uplifting society's poorest and most vulnerable
members. They will be people with the skills, knowledge, power, energy and
commitment to bring about change.

We seek individuals who:
… have experience in educating middle school-aged children, African
American children, and/or other children of color;
… have experience in teaching or have a background in math &/or science;
… have a valid California teaching credential OR are willing to pursue a
credential while teaching;
… will work as advocates for the West Oakland community and its residents;
… are pedagogically flexible and creative in educating urban youth;
… will work tirelessly and collaboratively with other WOCS teachers and staff;
… will make a three-year commitment to WOCS.

Responsibilities include:
… teaching two classes (25 students in each class) of a sixth grade
math/science course;
… serving as an advisor to a group of 10 students;
… planning, developing, and implementing curriculum;
… collaborating closely with the language arts/social studies instructor;
… supporting student learning throughout the school day.

This is a full-time position that starts in January, 2000. Strong
candidates looking for part-time positions are also encouraged to apply. We
also have the capacity to support student teachers enrolled in
credentialing programs.

WOCS is committed to hiring a staff that reflects its student population;
we do not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, gender, religion,
sexual orientation, class, or disability. We offer a competitive salary and
benefits package.

We are hiring immediately! Send or fax your resume to Akiyu Hatano, Charter
School Director. For more information via e-mail, contact
akiyuhatano@hotmail.com. dated 12/6/99