Re: pinhole voltage

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 07:39:17 PST

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:39:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole voltage

--- kevin kinsella <kkins@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This morning one of my 7th grade students came to me
> with a question about
> electricity. Having skated through that portion of
> my physics classes with
> my eyes closed, I'm at a loss for answering him.
> He wants to make a simple circuit tester like the
> ones we made in class
> using batteries, wire and light bulbs. The problem
> is that he purchased a
> 120V bulb and two 1.5V "D" batteries. He can't get
> the bulb to light. Is it
> possible to make this system light up and if so how
> many "D" cells will he
> need??? What is voltage??? How does it relate to
> current and ???? whatever
> else???
> On the recommendation of a colleague, I recently
> purchased a Radio Shak
> book called 'Getting Started in Electronics' (or
> something close to that
> title) and I gave that to my student to look over
> and begin reading. Any
> help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Kevin K.

Another source of ideas for this would be one of the
excellent guides, available at the Teacher Institute
Library. I teach elementary school and really like
using the TOPS guide as it creates a lot of electrical
experiments using only clothespins(switches), aluminum
foil (wires) and small bulbs. The only improvement on
the small flash light bulbs (as far as cost goes) is
the use of christmas tree lights (the littel ones are
3 volts DC), where a hundred lights cost only 3 bucks
at walgreens. Most of my fifth graders are walking
around with circuit testers they have made from this
stuff and love testing everything in the school for
conductivity (with certain safety considerations laid
out in advance.)

With firm handshake,
Raleigh