Re: Solar Year?

From: Gene Gordon (mrdragon@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 14:51:43 PST

From: "Gene Gordon" <mrdragon@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Solar Year?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:51:43 -0500

Now, if I can try to answer this in layman's terms (which is how I
understand it...lol) without messing it up. The universe as a whole is
expanding, but small things (compared to the size of the universe) such as
the galaxy are not. Of course my high school students ask this question on
an even smaller scale... "Isn't there space between atoms? Shouldn't we be
getting bigger too?"

Maybe someone else can explain it better. I laughingly tell my students
what one astronomy text, in bold capital letters, said to do if I student
asked a question like the one above . It said "DON"T GO THERE!"