TEA program available from NSF

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 14:40:54 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:40:54 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: TEA program available from NSF

TI alumni

Here is a letter from our last Program Officer at the NSF.
He is announcing an interesting program available to teachers who have
participated in our NSF sponsored program
If you are interested please put TEA in the subject heading of your reply.

I'm going to particpate myself.
Paul Doherty

12/15/99

Dear "Research Experience Teacher,"

During the 2000-2001 field season I plan on accompanying several "TEA"
teachers to Antarctica. They will be teachers who've spent time on the ice
in earlier work. They will be participating in a project called "Teachers
Experiencing Antarctica and Involving Classrooms Electronically" or simply,
TEA & ICE. During their stay in Antarctica each participating teacher will
be in electronic contact with at least 150 schools. Since I don't have a
classroom, school, local district, school in a conference, etc. to be in
email contact with, and I'd like to be, it occurred to me that teachers
who've participated in other NSF Teacher Enhancement Through Research
Experience Projects might be interested in corresponding with me while I am
on the ice. The TEA & ICE group intends to respond to student questions
about science and life in the Antarctic on a regular basis, perhaps daily.
If time allows we will also be willing to do some student suggested
experiments if we have the equipment. Please give this some thought. We can
go better prepared if we know ahead of time. Of course there are many
constraints such as a weight limit on what we bring. But do give it some
thought. We welcome your ideas. Please contact me at my current email
address wsukow@nsf.gov <mailto:wsukow@nsf.gov> if you are interested in
participating in TEA & ICE in this way. Thanks.

We hope to repeat this for the next Arctic field season as well.

Cheers,

Wayne Sukow

Paul "But it is more complicated than that!" Doherty,
Senior Staff Scientist, The Exploratorium.
pauld@exploratorium.edu, www.exo.net/~pauld