Re: Magnetite "Black" Sand remover

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 15:48:29 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:48:29 EST
Subject: Re: Magnetite "Black" Sand remover

As a kid in San Francisco I would go out to the back yard with a good sized
magnet and a super large funnel. The magnet was placed across the funnel
about half the way up. I would then shovel sand through the funnel with a
garden trowel. On a good day mining my back yard I could get a test tube
full.

For a faster collection of more of the naturally occurring magnetite and the
micrometeorites which make up "black" sand, try putting a strong plastic bag
over the end of a "magnetic broom" used in some shops to pick up nails and
screws from the shop floor. I have seen these for as little as $19.95 in a
certain store. When you have a fair amount of the "black" sand on the
plastic bag take it off of the magnetic broom and turn it inside out as you
go thus bagging the "black" sand.

For smaller amounts I would use neodymium magnets in a stoppered test tube
and simply run the tube over the black sand collecting at the top of the wave
marks on the beach.

Edison first invented the magnetic ore separator which crushed and dropped
iron ore past a big magnetic drum which turned and scrapped the iron ore off
as it collected.

Al Sefl