Re:menstruation

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 15:50:45 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:50:45 -0800 (PST)
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Re:menstruation

Women's menstrual cycles DO NOT coordinate with the lunar cycle any more
than chance would predict. This is one of those "things" that have been
attributed to women's bodies, behavior, etc. for years and years and years,
and has NO basis in reality!

For some eye opening, thought provoking, scientifically factual reading
that addresses this and many other myths about women and women's bodies
(many of which are based on faulty evolutionary psychology and sociobiology
studies), I recommend the 1999 book Woman, by Natalie Angier. While I've
just begun reading it, I have heard incredible things about it, and am so
far very impressed with her command of scientific research and engaging
writing style.

---Karen

Karen E. Kalumuck, Ph.D.
Biologist