math music scale

From: MC elover (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 08:41:55 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:41:55 -0800 (PST)
From: MC elover <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: math music scale

hello pinholers!

during the summer institute last summer, we learned of
the mathmatical origin of the 8 (12) note scale. i
forgot most of what i learned, but it seemed like it
would fit well into my current unit on sound. the
only thing i remember is something about the square
root of 12? also, i remember something about a 3:2
ratio in frequencies, so maybe it was the square root
of one and a half which is 1.2 which looks kinda like
12? i tried an unsuccessful web search. anyone?

keep the funk alive
--eric friedman