Re: Pinhole Digest #351 - 02/12/00

From: David Lauter (dyakov@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 22:30:26 PST

From: "David Lauter" <dyakov@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #351 - 02/12/00
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:30:26 -0800

I have a few questions on how light reduces substances. When light turns
silver halides black or purple I understand that the silver is reduced, but
what is oxidized, the halide? Any other details of the chemistry of
photography would be appreciated.

Also when a copy machine plate is charged up by light, where are the
electrons coming from?

I also have a question for Paul Doherty. A few months ago he explained the
distribution of colloids in a gravitational field. I only remember a few
main points. I believe the distribution depends on the weight of colloids
and their random 'Brownian' motion . I then lost him as soon as he said
that the mathematics was easy. Paul, could you write down the 'easy' math?
Thanks
 David Lauter