Re: pinhole Smelly stuff that doesn't smell

From: Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 11:49:47 PST

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:49:47 -0800 (PST)
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: Re: pinhole Smelly stuff that doesn't smell

Hi all --

        The "asparagus urine odor" is not due to the ability or inability
of smelling a substance. It is metabolism related; I'll have to do a bit
of research to get the nitty-gritty details, to be sure, but I believe it
involves the presence or absence of the enzyme asparaginase in a person.
If you have it, your urine doesn't have that distinctive smell, and if you
don't have it, you get "asparagus - urine" (or vice-versa). This
phenomenon is not related to any disorder/medical condition, nor does it
appear to be related to any evolutionary advantage. It may just be one of
those things closely linked to another gene that did confer a survival
advantage. When I find out the details, I'll let you all know.

Do the experiment! Eat asparagus!

---Karen