color reflection

From: Damon Jansen (dkjansen@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 16:43:17 PST

Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:43:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Damon Jansen <dkjansen@yahoo.com>
Subject: color reflection

I have a problem in determining what a bottle of
ketchup will look like when subjected to blue and
yellow light. If you do this problem the Paul D.
color algebra way, you think of it as
yellow = green + red
red pigment = -green - blue
Then the light you have is blue + (green + red) =
white
Shining on the bottle, you then have
blue+green+red - green - blue = red

So the bottle looks red.

However, I had a student point out that if you have
TRUE yellow light (a single wavelength), then they
thought the catsup bottle will appear black because it
will absorb both blue light and yellow light.

Does the problem really come down to what kind of
yellow we're talking about? It seems like if the
light is a narrow band of yellow, the catchup could
not appear red because it has to either absorb or
reflect that yellow light.

--damon jansen