history of coeducation

From: Jonathan Cohen (jonecoco@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 12:26:35 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:26:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Jonathan Cohen <jonecoco@yahoo.com>
Subject: history of coeducation

I know that I could find this out from an encyclopedia
but usually Pinholers reveal deeper wisdom.

Does anyone know when public education became
coeduational in America? Were there really many (or
any significant) numbers or girls in schools before
the child labor laws?

Also in England in the time of Robert Hooke (d.1703)
any idea how many people were literate?

I recall a T.I. on math in which we learned to make
Napier's bones. Would Robert Hooke, who had a
mathematics and classical languages education at
Oxford in around 1650, have known his times tables?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Jonathan

"Science is wonderful, but a nice piece of fish..."
E. Krasner M.D.

-

.

-