Cheap Kaleidoscope Camera

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 00:47:30 PDT

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 03:47:30 EDT
Subject: Cheap Kaleidoscope Camera

>From David Lauter:
> I have two requests.
> Does anyone know how to make a kalidescope that could be atached to a
> camera?
> Also I would like to start compiling a list of dumb biology jokes. Send
> the jokes in. They need not be good, but should be classroom friendly.

A simple kaleidoscope may be made with microscope slides taped together in a
triangular shape. You do not need to use mirrors as the surface reflects
perfectly due to the high angle of incidence. Put these in a cardboard tube
that you spray paint the inside black. You can also use two black plastic 35
mm film containers taped back to back as an alternative. A cut down small
round translucent 35 mm film can may be used for the selected materials you
wish to view. Put clear food wrap over the end facing the "mirrors" so the
"stuff" won't fall out. Even better is a small round plastic box with white
paper attached. The box may be opened and new materials may be introduced at
any time. The whole kaleidoscope assemblage should go on the end of a
"macro" lens that will let you focus down to about 2.5 cm. If you do not
have this you may rig a magnifying lens at the viewing end with another
length of cardboard tubing to let a normal 35 mm camera focus up close. All
the "close up lens" sold in camera stores for 35 mm cameras are simply
magnifying double convex lens like grandma's reading glass. Now
theoretically a very fine hole in a pinhole camera would work just fine as
there would be no lens focal length to worry about.

Check with the Exploratorium Snack Books about building your own kaleidoscope
which is where I think I found the design using microscope slides.

Best wishes to the Pinhole List and to you David..............