Re: Pinhole Digest #468 - 09/24/00

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 00:15:51 PDT

Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:15:51 +0100
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #468 - 09/24/00

Patricia-Anne WinterSun sent the following message to the subscribers of
Pinhole Sunday, October 24th:

>Pinhole Digest #468 - Sunday, September 24, 2000
>
> Response to GLOBAL WARMING!
> by "Patricia-Anne WinterSun" <p-aw@pacbell.net>
> NPR, PBS need our support: Petition enclosed
> by "Patricia-Anne WinterSun" <p-aw@pacbell.net>

>Subject: Response to GLOBAL WARMING!
>From: "Patricia-Anne WinterSun" <p-aw@pacbell.net>
>Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:22:29 -0700

>NEWS FROM THE WORLDWATCH INSTITUTE
>
>>From the Office of the Chairman
>Worldwatch Issue Alert
>Alert 2000 - 8
>For Immediate Release
>September 8, 2000
>

>OPEC HAS WORLD OVER A BARREL AGAIN

>Subject: NPR, PBS need our support: Petition enclosed
>From: "Patricia-Anne WinterSun" <p-aw@pacbell.net>
>Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:29:04 -0700
>
>Subject:
> NPR, PBS need our support: Petition
> Date:
> Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:28:35 -0700
> From:
> Bruce Dresser <bdresser@acuson.com>
>Hello everyone,

As I recall, the Pinhole Mail List was set up to create "An electronic way
to meet and work together to implement inquiry-based and hands-on science
learning in the classroom...an Internet list that provides an ongoing
exchange of ideas and questions for Alums of the Exploratorium Teacher
Institute..."

Two questions:

A) Does the material that appeared in Digest #468 from Patricia-Anne WinterSun
   fall within these quidelines and

B) Does it mean that we can expect similar messages in the future encouraging
   us to endorse someone's views on economics and broadcasting (as was the case
   in these two messages) or take part in a petition that they wish to
circulate
   on the internet?

In the case of A), I think not.

In the case of B), I hope not.

Just because someone believes in an orgainization or group that may, in
fact, have good intentions, they just can't go and post a message on
Pinhole with

A) A long presentation of information that supports their position and/or

B) An electronic petition that they want our help in circulating.

These actions are inconsistent with Pinhole's guidelines - assuming these
guidelines haven't changed since 1996.

Isn't there someone moderating this mail list? If not, then I suspect that
more of the same will appear unless ALL of us exercise the courtesies and
constraints that this circumstance would require.

Just my opinion.

ron

p.s. Okay - I know that THIS message isn't consistent with the guidelines,
but I believe the messages posted in digest #468 were totally out of line
with what Pinhole is all about. If you want to beat your drum, fine - but
you'll have to find another platform.