Re: pinhole Cell Wall

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 09:35:26 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:35:26 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Cell Wall

Missy, Animal cells are surrounded by extracellular fluid (the internal
environment); an animal is designed in large part to keep that internal
environment constant. One of the important variables kept constant is the
osmotic pressure of the extracellular fluid. This ensures that the cells
will not have to create a pressure gradient to withstand any changes in
that variable. Thus a wall designed to withstand pressure is not needed.
Instead we have kidneys. these can be tested by drinking a lot of water
and seeing that we then urinate out dilute urine, or vice versa. Great
question. eiger
>Hi there -
> This is proabably a simple question that I should know the answer
>to,... but if a cell wall provides support and structure for plant cells -
>why don't animal cells need a cell wall? What does an animal cell have that
>provides this function - or why would it not need it (in a similar way?)?
>
>Thanks!
>Missy Rock
>Madison Middle School
>Oakland, CA

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148