Re: pinhole Sig figs & averaging

From: Gary Horne (gary.horne@excite.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 13:53:38 PDT

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary Horne <gary.horne@excite.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Sig figs & averaging

My understanding of significant figures is that the last digit is the
"unsure" value. If I measure a weight that is 23 g, then it could be 24 or
22 or maybe even 20 grams. I'm sure of the tens place, but the one's case
is "unsure". In your example, the weights may measure as 2 and 3 grams, but
both are unsure measurements. In that light, the average of two items that
are about 3 grams equaling about 3 grams is correct.

If, however, one is sure that the weight is about 2 grams, she should write
2.0 with the tenths place being the "unsure" value. Likewise with 3.0. In
that case, the average is 2.5, and again, makes sense.

At least, that is my understanding, but I admit that significant figures
gave this non-chemist a lot of trouble as well.

-gary