(no subject)

From: Yibi Smith (yibsmith@jps.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 20:43:06 PST

Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:43:06 -0800
From: Yibi Smith <yibsmith@jps.net>

Dear Pinholers,
I do a qualitative analysis final exam with my chemistry students. The
students are given a solid substance to identify based on qualitative tests
that they learn during the semester. Does anyone know a good confirming
test which will distinguish bromide and chloride ions? My students and I
find it difficult to distinguish the differences in the color of the silver
precipitate and the solubility of that precipitate in ammonium hydroxide or
thiosulfate is also difficult to see. Does anyone have another test that
we could use to positively distinguish between these two ions?
Thanks for your help. Yibi Smith, Dixon High School