Re: pinhole Why does the earth exert a large gravitational force on more massive objects?

From: Marc Afifi (marc_afifi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 13:53:10 PST

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:53:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Afifi <marc_afifi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Why does the earth exert a large gravitational force on more massive objects?

I remember Paul D answering this question by comparing
the total number of neutrons protons and electrons for
the two objects in question. Forgive me butchering his
explanation, but since a piece of paper is made of
fewer atoms than is a book, the force of gravity
exerted by it and therefore on it (Law 3) is less than
for a book. Now, the question how does the Earth know
that the paper is made of fewer atoms than is the book
is a much deeper question. I think I am paraphrasing
Feynman when I say...nobody knows.

-Marc

=====
Marc Afifi