Car on Ice

From: Jhumki Basu (sjbasu@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 17:09:37 PST

From: "Jhumki Basu" <sjbasu@hotmail.com>
Subject: Car on Ice
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:09:37 GMT

A student asked me: If I start the engine of my car on a frictionless
surface, would the car move forward?

I said there would still be a reaction force of surface on wheels and,
therefore, car and that the car would still accelerate. But then I said the
car would skid instead of drive like a normal car because there would be no
static friction. But I wasn't sure what I was talking about and told her I
would get back to her.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jhumki Basu