Re: Pinhole Digest #510 Cupric Sulfate

From: George Fosselius (fosselg@albany.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 01:31:14 PST

From: "George Fosselius" <fosselg@albany.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #510 Cupric Sulfate
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:31:14 -0000

From: "dan defoe" <jddefoe@yahoo.com>

Who can tell me what good labs or uses I might find
for Cupric Sulfate? thanks Dan

Grows a decent crystal if you have students with patience and intuition.
(Flip over the seed crystal to get "even" growth.)

Electroless plating of iron. (What other metals does it plate...cupro-nickel
alloy?) Just dip a clean steel nail and observe. Why is it less permanent
than electro-plating?
(Why is the Statue of Liberty dull gray-green and not shiny red?)

Put a large crystal in the bottom of a graduate of water, seal the top and
wait months. Does it dissolve? Diffuse?
regards
George