Re: frictionless ice

From: Julie Yu (jhcyu@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 11:21:15 PST

From: "Julie Yu" <jhcyu@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: frictionless ice
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:21:15 -0800

Hi Steve,

I think that a small layer of water created by dangling bonds is negligible
compared to the size of a skate or anything we would try to glide on ice.
Again, there is a comparable layer of water on glass, and we do not
experience the same phenomenon with pressure on glass. I do believe that
there must be a certain temperature below which ice skating is not easy,
though, I too do not have direct experience. I would imagine that it would
be lower than the -15 C I calculated due to some kind of localized heating
effects. It would be interesting to see, though, if folks have experienced
otherwise.

Julie