Re: pinhole Not knowing

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 10:55:08 PST

Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:55:08 -0700
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Not knowing

        At the end of his mesage he argued for teaching the nature of
science in school. He also eloquently showed the evolution of scientific
thinking in the area of discussion. However at the beginning he argued
that some "why" statements were untestable. Using his arguments, one could
have said the same thing about Aristotelean physics; one could argue that
it is the spunk and defiance of individuals who question assumptions that
end up moving those "why" statments one step deeper, witht he explanation
of, and perhaps evidence for previously assumed "untestable" assumptions.
I think Ron wouold agree that certain observations that are today
untestable, may one day move to another category. Looking at the
statements Ron puts in the Why category, it seems unlikely to me, but then
if I knew better, I would be rich and famous. Feynman in some of his
books, eg. QED discusses the usefullness of scientific laws and their
nature, I found it very satisfying, and perhaps illuminating, when I read
it. I am pretty sure we all would agree on these things. Feynman would
readily agree that certain parts of nature may not be understandable, but I
think he would be very hesitant to say what those things were (his being
dead assures that I am right on this one). He also makes the point which
you may also, that a pure description of what happens (a model), devoid of
a deeper understanding, can be quite useful, and therfore worthwile
accepting.Steve

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148