Learning Studio - previous notices

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 09:04:43 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:04:43 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Learning Studio - previous notices

Folks:

During the past several weeks I have sent several notices to an inhouse
news mailing list for the Exploratorium announcing items that have been
added to the Learning Studio collection.

Many of these are not physically housed here but are available electronically.

Here is a summary of all both print and Internat accessible items I have
posted about in these weeks.

The regular weekly reports are smaller than this one.

- In printed form:

I am now bringing in my copies of MacWorld and MacAddict. They are on the
magazine rack and we have the past year on hand. The MacAddicts include the
CD-ROM disk.

- Internet Accessible Titles:

Web links to the electronic resources are listed in the Learning Studio
catalog.
        http://hypatia.exploratorium.edu/

Yes this my way of getting you to search our catalog, and discover other
items in the collection.

1.
The Bad Bug Book : foodborne pathogenic microorganisms and natural toxins
handbook.

Ever wonder about what may be in your food from that little greasy spoon,
or famous four star eatery? Or from your own kitchen?

Then this is probably a book you should avoid.

2.
The Regulatory fish encyclopedia

Another FDA online resource, this time designed to prevent 'fish fraud' so
it only covers edible fish.

Fish fraud in this case is the selling of one fish under the name of another.

Includes:
Photographic images (whole fish and fillets)
Taxonomic Information
IEF Protein Patterns
In the future DNA Fragment Patterns will be added
and lots more.

3.
New York Subway: Its Construction and Equipment

This ones days from 1904 so has lots of little details from a less digital age.

4.
Tunneling under the Hudson River

This title dates from 1885 with lots of interesting details of the
technical challenges of such a project in those days..

5.
Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, Seventeenth Edition

6.
The Merck Manual of Medical Information

7.
CGI Programming on the World Wide Web - Gundavaram, Shishir

We also have two printed copies of this title in the collection, one does
not circulate.

8.
History of the growth of the steam engine

9.
History of the first locomotives in America

10.
The Steam turbine

11.
Species identification guide: an online guide for amphibians in the United
States and Canada

12.
Wild flowers / by Neltje Blanchan

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu