Re: Teacher's Pension Planning

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 16:14:17 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:14:17 EST
Subject: Re: Teacher's Pension Planning

<< Subject: 403b Annuity plan
> From: "Shirley Brungardt" <shirleybrungardt@hotmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:23:25 -0600
> Thumbs Up! All teachers should take advantage of the 403b. I have had a
> TDA for more than 30 years.
> I'm managing quite comfortably on my pension.

California teachers should have the STRS Member Handbook which outlines
retirement planning. The eye opener is if you cannot make it to 60 years of
age before retirement you take a BIG hit on the pension. My STRS take home
pension will be in the neighborhood of just $1,500 a month after 33 years of
teaching. My 403b allowed me to build up about $500,000 in one account which
I can draw on early if I need to. I am glad someone else did the planning
with a 403b and would advise all teachers to become financially literate.

Al Sefl
Who knew he wouldn't get rich teaching........

p.s. < www.calstrs.ca.gov > is the Cal State website to ask for a Handbook.