making enzymes real

From: Monya Baker (monyab@eastside.org)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2001 - 13:32:29 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:32:29 -0800
From: Monya Baker <monyab@eastside.org>
Subject: making enzymes real

Hi,

I really want my students to understand how specific enzymes can be.
I've come up with an idea to try, but I'd rather not reinvent the
wheel.

I'm thinking of using milk, lactase and a protease (probably from
contact lens cleaners), then using lemon juice and glucose strips to
test for the presence/absence of protein and glucose

Here's what I'm hoping will happen.

Milk+water (control) curdling in acid little glucose
Milk+lactase curdling in acid lots of glucose
Milk+protease no curdling in acid little glucose

Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas on the time course?

Monya