Call for Judges (fwd)

From: Deborah Hunt (dhunt@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 11:40:09 PST

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:40:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Deborah Hunt <dhunt@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Call for Judges (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 13:46:15 -0500
From: Bruce Furino <bfurino@mail.ucf.edu>
To: dhunt@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Call for Judges

The University of Central Florida, in coordination with the National Medal
of Technology Program, is in its 4th year of hosting a virtual science fair
that expands opportunities for students to participate nationally in real
world science projects. The Internet Science and Technology Fair (ISTF) is
an on-line competition for students in later elementary, middle and high
school. Using the Internet and e-mails, student teams work with technical
advisors to apply technology to real world problems. Their final research
reports based on AAAS content standards are developed in a web page format.

As we are nearing completion of the student teams' work in our 2000/2001
ISTF Program, we need online judges for the national evaluation, March
23-30. All you need is a computer and Internet access, everything else
you'll need is online - the forms for judging, the students' work at their
websites and the guidelines for the three grade levels. There are no set
times for accessing the students work during this timeframe and you can
complete the evaluations from your home, office or while on the road.

You'll be asked to judge three teams. (Each team will have more than one
judge; so don't be concerned that you alone will have the final say.) It
takes about 45 minutes per team to judge conscientiously. So if you'll give
approximately two hours of your time, you'll contribute to an important
educational experience involving several students' work.

If you are interested (and we hope you are), please include in your response
some information about who you are. This could include any special
technical or subject matter expertise (i.e. chemist, electrical engineer,
physical science teacher) and related experience (i.e. teaching certain
grade levels, judging science fairs before, etc.), that will help us assign
appropriate individuals to our teams.

We ask that you respond as soon as possible, but no later than 2/21/2001.
For additional particulars about our program, please visit our website at
http://istf.ucf.edu

Thank you in advance for your time and considerations. Please reply to me
at bfurino@mail.ucf.edu (the same address used in this e-mail).
Bruce M. Furino
Director, Office of Special Programs
College of Engineering and Computer Science
University of Central Florida

E-mail: bfurino@mail.ucf.edu
Voice: (407) 249-7141