- Learning Studio - week of February 25

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 14:43:58 PST

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 14:43:58 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of February 25

This week we have a magazine article which is recommended by Learning
Studio staff member Richard Brooks.

"Noise Busters" by Richard & Joyce Wolkomir (Smithsonian, v. 31, #12,
March 2001), is about the efforts of the non-profit Noise Pollution
Clearinghouse to measure and combat noise pollution.
        [Over the years, a number of visitors AND staff have complained
about the
noise levels (are they legal/lawful/healthy here?) within the
Exploratorium, so this article might make for good reading should anyone
try bring up the subject again....]

And a printed book:

Project MOSAIC : museums at the crossroads
        Q 105 .U5 P76 1996

This week we again announce more on-line titles.

1. Relativity: The Special and the General Theory by Albert Einstein,
trans. by Robert W. Lawson

2. Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections (combined
electronic edition) by William G. Contento

3. On the Origin of Species (sixth edition) by Charles Darwin

4. Anatomy of the Human Body (Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1918) by Henry Gray

5. A Monograph of the Testudinata by Thomas Bell

6. Studies in the Sierra (1950 edition) by John Muir

To locate the links search our catalog for the titles.
        http://library.exploratorium.edu/

Tips.
 - 1 If a title has commas in it leave them out of your search. The catalog
treats commas as OR searches which will give you a very large search result.

 - 2 If a title has a colon in it leave it out or you will get a search
result with "No record found".

 - 3. Notice that in the record for each of these titles under subjects is
a link to "Online resources". Click this link for a full list of what we
have catalogued in this format to date. Many of the records have yet to be
announced here.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum