RE: LED's

From: MC elover (mcelover@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 09:15:29 PDT

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:15:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: MC elover <mcelover@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: LED's

hello again

thanks, paul, for the swift and helpful reply. one
more thing: it seems from your reply that i can
directly relate the applied voltage to the frequency
of light that i get out of an LED. that seems too
easy for a couple of reasons.
    one reason is that i can make my LED brighter by
turning up the voltage. i suppose that i could take a
stab at explaining that by assuming that the LED is
slighly Ohmic (resistor-like) and that more voltage
gets me more current. more current means more
electrons moving through the circuit which in turn
gets me more photons. actually, if that is true it
would be a great way to get my kids to buy into the
photon theory of light (which is what i'm trying to do
with this whole thing anyway) since it sould be the
amount of phtons that gives me a brighter light,
instead of more energy (voltage).
    another thing is that i noticed that my red LED
turns on at about 1.6 Volts. going through the
calculations gives me a corresponding wavelength of
770 nm which is out of the range of my vision.
    the last thing that troubles me is how i in a
white LED i can get electrons traveling through
different potential differences to get my different
frequencies. for example, lets say that i have my
voltage at source at 3 volts. how do i get one
electron to go through, say 2 volts of difference to
get me my orange light?

anyone have any good explanations?
--eric