Newton's laws cars

From: Valance Brenneis (valance99@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 15:35:05 PDT

From: "Valance Brenneis" <valance99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Newton's laws cars
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:35:05

Hi!!!
This is Val Brenneis from last summer's teacher institute.  I have a question about building model cars with my students.  I remember a great presentation from someone in the Physics group about building cars with CDs for wheels.  I have all of my CDs from RAFT but some of the details of the design escape me....
I remember that a specific type of black rubber washer was used to insert into the CD and hold a wooden dowel as the axel, but....

1. DOES anyone know what TYPE of WASHER and size of DOWEL was used?

2. How do you connect the body of the car to the axels?  Is it possible to do this without drilling holes through wood?  I don't have access to a wood shop here in NYC.

3.  Does anyone have any other great suggestions for building small model cars powered either by gravity or rubber bands so that my students can measure speed, acceleration, momentum, and eventually ideas of forces?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
 Val Brenneis