vinegar and sunburn

From: Sally Seebode (sseebode@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 08:54:30 PDT

From: "Sally Seebode" <sseebode@earthlink.net>
Subject: vinegar and sunburn
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:54:30 -0700

Here's a random question that sounds like an old wives tale, but it works -- at least it does for me.

I have been plagued by sunburns my whole life -- yes I use sunscreen and yes I should stay indoors, but outdoors is way more fun! Anyway, I don't get burned often any more because of our great protective lotions, but sometimes I still missapply and I do get that nice bright red glow. To avoid the sting and burn of sunburn I learned as a teenager to go home and apply vinegar to the sunburn. Since I've done this, I no longer feel the burn -- it seems to take the sting out. I forgot about this until a recent burn and I've been pondering why this would work. Any ideas?

How does applying vinegar to a sunburn remove the burn feeling?

sally