Re: pinhole relativity

From: Gary Horne (gary.horne@excite.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 17:12:53 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary Horne <gary.horne@excite.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole relativity

On Wed, 16 May 2001 14:18:26 -0700, Paul wrote:

> Objects which have mass when they are at rest cannot travel at the speed
of
> light. They are ssaid to have "rest mass." These are things like
electrons
> and protons and people.
> Light does not have "rest mass" so it can travel the speed of light.
> Since light is not at rest it can and does have mass.

So what does it mean, to a physicist, to be "at rest"? I'm seem to be at
rest relative to my computer, but not to the traffic outside. I was going
to guess that it had to do with the fact that light can't be at rest
relative to anything, but Ron described a scenario where particles could
move faster than light, which means they could also move the same speed as
light....and of course, light could be at rest relative to an equal and
parallel light beam.

Ouch, my head hurts!

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/